Thursday, July 24, 2014

My project!

No stamping today, but creativity just the same!

Way, way back in March I mentioned that I had a painting project keeping me busy that I was hoping to share soon. Yeah. Well, now it's July...and I can finally share it!
Two years ago, after my grandmother passed away and her kids went thru the things in the house, I got to be the lucky owner of this shelf.
For as long as I can remember, it hung in my grandparents front room, as shown below. The furniture changed rather frequently (says the girl who visited once or twice a year), but the wall never did, except to add my aunts and uncle's wedding pictures. As much as I didn't like the distinctly 1960's finish, I thought the shelf had potential, and I wanted it!
My mom brought it home to me, two years ago last month. And it sat in my living room....til it moved to my bedroom.....it might have gone to the storage unit for a while...but finally, in March, I sanded it down, taped the mirror off, and chose a spray paint color!
And then...it got rained on while "drying". So I had to sand it down and spray it again...
And then! it sat in my house waiting to be hung...but getting banged into and chipped and...grr!
So I painted it one more time (ok, like 5 more times...) and insisted it be hung that very day! Which is a two-man sport...ahem.
Annnd then it hung empty for another month or so...
Until this weekend.
We had a big family event at our house on Sunday and I wanted the shelf decorated, and I wanted to fill up an empty wall. So check out what I got done on Saturday!
The shelf now looks like this:
(and closeups...)

And the empty wall was planned out to look like this:
And with a little more spray paint and rethinking some things (like a mirror 5 inches away from the ceiling?) now looks like this!
I LOVE IT!!!!
The photos on the wall, the colors, and the decor in general makes me so happy to see! My kids love seeing so many pics of themselves on the walls. I also updated their annual portraits so that's fun too... but I like that I was finally able to put my own style on my own wall!
And! Really it only took the one day, and not very much money.
4 cans of spray paint, frames from thrift stores and the dollar store, and other pieces I already owned. Kerbam!
Purty house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...