Saturday, August 29, 2015

Leaves for Saturday...and research!

Ha! How's that for a title?! Well, read on!

First, we'll start at the end, haha, with the finished project- a sort of funky, autumny card, full of brand new Holiday Mini products that just arrived yesterday! (yeay for being a demo and getting to pre-order items!) Which is why I'm posting on a Saturday, I didn't get to play with it til today! I used the latest Freshly Made Sketch and the Nacho Average color Challenge and came up with this:
Supplies:
Stamps: Among the Branches
Ink: Delightful Dijon, Blackberry Bliss, Bermuda Bay
Paper: Hello Honey, Whisper White, Blackberry Bliss card stocks 
Accessories: Woodland Embossing Folder, Big Shot, Burlap Ribbon, Dimensionals

Maybe the Bermuda Bay is a little odd, but I like how it worked out actually! I also kept it an accent color for this card, and maybe that's why I like it... And I DO like this card, despite several, shall we say..."rough drafts"!

I have a new Pinterest Board just for the new Holiday Mini (HERE) and I have seen dozens of ideas using this fantastic new embossing folder. Lots of those ideas show the trees colored, and the background is left white. Um....I have found one post where the person tells exactly how she colored her trees...you can see her post HERE. I wanted fully colored trees...HMM. So here's what I tried:

1. Someone said ink was put on the raised tree images...I figured a stampin' spot would be easier to control so here's that attempt....
I started adding leaves and decided I really didn't like this 'forest' so I tried again!
2. Somewhere else I saw to sponge ink on the raised tree image...Nope, that doesn't work either...but it is less muddy sooo... But nope, I really don't like this one either!
3. This time I used a marker, laid almost parallel to the paper, so it only got to the raised tree image, and wouldn't ink up anywhere else... That worked out the best, but I already know I have customers who will struggle with that method for an entire card front. HMM. So if you know of an easier way, please leave a comment and let me know! hahaha!!!
And there was still a snag on this third attempt, LOL!!! The color challenge called for Hello Honey. I got out my box of In Color markers and apparently had put back the wrong yellowy marker in that box! This card was actually made using the Delightful Dijon marker instead of Hello Honey! No wonder it was "too dark"!
...some days..............hahahahaha...........

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow - the background you've created is just wonderful! I love the earthy colours you've used - just lovely! Thanks for joining us at FMS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card! Thanks for the tips on how you colored the trees. Great use of the colors. Thanks for joining us at Nacho Average Challenges this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! The color combo is so cool and I love your design! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card looks great! I could never get good results with ink on embossing folders, so I salute your persistence. Thanks for playing along with the Nachos this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3rd time is the charm! Beautiful card. I like the Bermuda Bay leaves as well. Thanks for playing along with the Nachos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your card. Thanks for explaining all the inking techniques and sharing the results! I may give the marker technique a whirl.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...