Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Gift Tutorial?!

I know, WHAT?! I can do that?! Guess we'll see...! LOL!

I decided to take pictures of each step (sort of) of creating this gift and thought I'd share, in case you're alter-challenged like me. I think the creations people make are incredible but I just don't find myself thinking that way. I save a lot of "trash" and started collecting these jerky cans this summer and FINALLY came up with a way to use them! So here we go......!

I started by laying the can onto the designer paper and marking where the paper would fit from the top to the bottom of the can, and cutting accordingly. Then, I held the cut paper to the can and rolled it across the big strip, marking where the other side would just cover the seam, (shown below) and cut there.

I used Sticky Strip to adhere this DP to the can itself.

(I haven't had much luck using Sticky Strip sooo I ran out in the middle of this project. HOWEVER, the only things that have held together on this is where there IS Sticky Strip. Here an order coming up? argh...)

Yes, I held the ends of the can between my knees so I could keep the paper going straight around the can!
I made a little belly band with red card stock and I used my Scallop Edge Punch along the bottom. I taped the end that would be covered and used the last bit of Sticky Strip to secure the wrapped around end.
Then I needed a mat for my little poem. I am ...thrifty? and I also thought the card stock would wrap better if there wasn't so much of it, so I trimmed out the center of this rectangle, as shown below....
Then I glued my computer-printed poem to the mat and used SNAIL on the mat to put it on the can. (then I used glue dots to hold it down better once it started coming off...)
Here's the inside of the can...I put some red confetti paper inside to make it look nicer, and festive! Then you add the MnM's bag.... And ta-da! Here's the finished project- a great little gift! I also punched some Old Olive card stock with my scallop circle punch, then layered a 1 3.8 red circle on top of that, and stamped an M using Chocolate Chip ink, for just a little accent (attached with Dimensionals). My son's teacher has quite the MnM collection in her classroom and he wanted to give her a pkg of MnM's for Christmas. I was fine with that, but maybe a little something more.... When I saw THIS post on Patty's blog, I knew what I was going to do! What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Such an adorable idea!! ...and thanks for the step by step - if only I could get a can of 'slim jims' to work with in Canada...I'll have to experiment with other things:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! My sister-in-law was just telling me about the M&M Christmas poem today. Do you have a copy you can e-mail me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Gosh Tanya I have thrown away so many of those containers over the last year!!!

    Should have been saving them!!! Not sure why I seem to save everything else!!! LOL

    This turned out pretty cute, my BIL and SIL (hubbies brother) went home a few years ago to help hubbies DaD farm and they are Marion, and Melanie, and they call the farm the M & M farms they named their kids Abigail and Nathan Hence M, M, A, N, D.....
    except when the 3rd one came he got to be Jonathan because they could not think of a D name they likes oh and our last name is Schlatter so it would have really been M and M's

    Get the story they really really like M and M's!!!!

    Love this!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...