Friday, August 29, 2008

The real world...

This card is also on Splitcoaststampers... Julee did a sketch challenge for her Meet the Verve Diva's thing. I made it for my dad since his birthday was this weekend. I love how it turned out, I think really nice for him...I just wish I'd either been willing to print up that little word circle or owned a stamp that worked for the concept!

Anyway, his fav color is yellow and fortunately this paper I'd chosen worked well with More Mustard! The book pattern comes from an SU pack a few years ago. Maybe it was called Heritage? Anyway, then, I hand-wrote the sentiment which I think works for my dad: "Age = Wisdom". I don't know that my dad cares about getting older, but maybe he does. And he loves to tell us kids that he knows everything. haha...

Supplies: Stamps: NONE! ~ Ink: More Mustard, Basic Black, Pen ~ Paper: Heritage DP, More Mustard, Basic Black, Whisper White ~ Accessories: Silver brads, Stamping Sponges, 1 3/8 inch circle punch

I read on Andrea's blog her thoughts on how we stamp-bloggers always (and only) tell the happy things going on. This is mostly true. For me, enough with the negativity...who wants to read my complaining every day? I don't! But also, I try to put together two or three posts in one sitting, so that, as she also says, blogging doesn't consume my entire life (just, um...half of it...). And there's no reason to hold on to the negative things and re-read them a couple days later. But today I could use the vent. So! If she (or you) would like some reality from my end of the world, here ya go! (or just skip over this! haha!!!)

Today (a different day from the day you are reading this) I was frustrated a LOT. My daughter was up waaaay too late last night and up too early this morning. She was emotional and tired and that gets very wearing. I had to go to the store, and it was a have-to trip because the kids' allergies are going crazy and we're out of the fabulous Benadryl fast melts. Um...I guess they don't make that anymore. They have these nice easy-dose things, but not for both kids. Or they have liquid which is pretty hard to get my kids to take. And the easy-dose is liquid anyway. Lovely. And the kicker is, they already did this to ME this year. I found a box of allergy med in our stash that actually worked for me this spring and when I went to buy more they had a "See our new formula!" label on it. Guess what? "New formula" doesn't work! So glad to know the allergy medicine industry is making it impossible for my family to find allergy relief. And you know what? The store didn't even have Peanut Butter MnM's. I also forgot to buy shoelaces.

And how come gas is still $3.91 here if in the next town up its down to $3.87? Don't get me wrong, our current price is better than it was a week ago, but still.

Then this afternoon I realized I didn't just miss sending out a couple of birthday cards on time, I missed FIVE. Aaaaahhhhh! The pressure!!!!!

And my son lost his homework. {insert rolling eyes here} I know school just started, I know he's still a little kid, but come on! He didn't find it in his backpack, so we drove back to school. Nope, not there either. He came up with a dozen exciting things that must have happened to it ("The janitor probably vacuumed it up. His sister lost it in the house. Or maybe she hid it. Maybe its stuck to the back of my other paper. Maybe it blew away when I was walking to the car........") and I tried hard to be patient and use this as a teaching moment to help him remember or learn to be responsible for his belongings. But I'm also realizing that if I want to know what is going on in that classroom and what my son's actual responsibilities are, I am going to have to walk in there and ask. I would expect SOME kind of information to have come home by now. When I was in high school we brought home notes the first from every single class. Have things changed THAT much? That my little boy is just s'post to pass on the info? Hmm.

But now we're going to go kick around his new soccer ball and blow off some steam...and I truly hope this is the last day to hit 100*. I'm tired of heat. Bring on Autumn!!! My FAVORITE!

6 comments:

  1. Now don't you just feel better???? Ha Ha Ha I understand your comment about not wanting to be negative, but what you shared is reality. Been there done that!!
    {smiling widely} My daughter in law was having a problem with so many peoples blog's because she said it's like their world is perfect. I think it made her feel inferior, like she wasn't a good enough mother. I read a blog of a family who used to live in our ward and moved to Texas. She just had a new baby and tells it like it is. It's nice to read reality. Don't get me wrong, I love looking at pictures of families having fun, because really that is how it is most of the time....BUT there are those bumps in the road. Thanks for sharing yours. I hope things get better....and peanut butter m&m's will do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you had a bad day:(
    I hope that things get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya-
    You are crackin' me up!
    I am reading your post- not thinking you are complaining- but thinking...oh my word this is my life! I am laughing (sorry) because I have SO been there! BTW- if your kids are old enough claritin has a melt away that I used to give my daughter. I got them at Target. She was the same way- she would almost make herself throw up taking liquid meds! I think she actually did one time!
    Here it is:
    http://www.claritin.com/claritin/adults/products
    Have a better day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tanya I'm Niki your fav things partner. I just wanted to let you know that your blog is so cute. Love how creative you are I am so jealous. I just am sending your package today so you probably won't get it until Tuesday because of the holiday weekend. Just to let you know that I am not nearly as artistically talented as you are so bear with me. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK... first of all I love the card for your dad. Secondly I just had to smile (not meanly or anything) but just remembering when I had 3 kids under the age of 5. Your post was straight from my playbook all those years ago. Now my 3 oldest are all grown up and married with kids and THEY are having these kinds of days. The great circle of life. Hang in there kiddo. Believe it or not there will come a day when your grandkids will visit and after a week you still haven't washed their fingerprints off the glass cuz you just want to see it there one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to be so comment happy here on your blog. I was reading everyone's comments and just smiled. Isn't it nice to see we are all in this crazy life of motherhood together. We all go through those crazy times and it feels good to know we are not alone. I had to laugh at Susan's comment, because it is SO TRUE!!! Before my grandkids and their parents moved in with us for a short time here, they would leave handprints and I would never wash them off. I wanted to look at them again later to be reminded of the sweet laughter that filled our house again and again. Now they live with us, and the house is constantly filled with laughter....and tears....and sibling rivalry...again, but I love it. Families are the best things this life has to offer us. Enjoy the good times with the bad, because like Susan said, one day it gets quiet then you wish you had it all back. Have a great day. If I had your snail mail I would send you some peanut butter m&m's just to have for those "special" moments. {smiling widely}

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...